THE GAMBLER

 

                                                            Image:Africa Feeds



It’s been two weeks since our transformer developed some issues, and charging our electronics during the day was a challenge as we could only turn on the generator in the evening.


Ever since my dad opened my eyes to the demons behind gambling, I swore to quit, and I tried, as the years went by, falling and getting back up until I managed to kick out the habit.


One day I went out of the house and decided to see what was happening in a betting shop close by, hoping I could get to charge my phone. I had wanted to see if people still got consumed by the power of gambling, or if things have changed over the past few years since I stopped going there.


Not surprisingly, though, I saw people queued up, trying to stake their bets so they could earn some fast and easy cash. I had already learned that the money acquired through this means does not last. Hardly does one see its value- actually, most of the winnings are lost in the shop on the spot. With the ‘virtual soccer’ which lasts only a minute per round, you will either get rich quickly or lose all that you have just as fast- and it is no new knowledge that the house always wins.


This guy had just closed from the day’s work- he traded snacks on the street, chasing and ‘scoping’ potential buyers all day. I sat down at the back to observe. About twenty minutes later, voices began to get raised- he was shouting, and the workers were shouting back at him; he had played more than he has the cash to pay. They said he wasn’t going to leave until he cleared his debt, or he would drop his phone with them.


He didn’t have any phone. Another young man, Kunle, walked in and enquired about the situation. The shopkeepers narrated the story. Kunle bought some of the corn flakes and biscuits so the guy could clear his debt. The guy thanked the kind stranger for being this generous. I reminded myself to thank my father when I got home and also thanked God for delivering me from this type of trouble.


The guy handed over the money he was owed. And then I got the shock of my life:

 he asked the shopkeepers to play some more bets for him from the leftover change that Kunle had bailed him out with. I had already slapped the guy in my mind, just that my hands couldn’t land on him right there.

I know you are old and responsible enough to make your own choices, but please, never in-debt yourself in this circumstance. Life is difficult, and we are all trying to survive, but gambling will dig a bigger hole for you than the one you are already in. Find a job, no matter how little- there is dignity in labor.

More articles on bandashan.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. Thank you very much for the Airtime bro. You articles have been really inspiring and motivating to many of us. God bless you Sir

    ReplyDelete
  2. An inspiring piece. it goes to show any form of addiction can be defeated and gambling is never an option.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The 1 Thing You Need to Overcome Obstacles

CONTENTMENT

BE THE VOICE